Editing Blog: Why Is This Happening Now?

So, today I got home from school, made some tea, sat down, got out my laptop, put on some music and began to open some shots to edit. I first start of with just ordering the shots in sequential order. I really like this technique of editing, because it helps me work in "layers." I used to edit by hyperfocusing on one shot for almost 10 minutes, trying to get everything perfect and account for any mistakes made in filming. Now, as you can probably tell, that was not an effecient way of editing. I tend to have issues with perfectionism, which is likely how I got myself trapped in this kind of editing style. Since then, I've had to force myself to not do that and focus on the whole scope of the film first, then focus on the more intimate editing(like transitions, color-correct, and fade-ins/outs) later on. 

So after editing everything into sequential order, I now needed to focus on transitioning. Thanks to ClipChamp's intuitive interface, this was pretty simple. I just needed to think carefully about which shots needed to have more abrupt transitions and which ones could have smoother transitions. I honestly didn't think anything like this during AS Level and just picked what I thought would be best. However, I realized since then that transitions play a big part in editing films. When I watch movies or TV shows(which rarely happens, but we don't need to worry about that!), I notice that the way a scene transitions has a big impact on the overall feel of the shot and generally depends on the genre. For example, most romances will have fades and dissolves to give the audience a relaxed and dreamy feeling, while comedies may have abrupt jumpcuts to emphasize moments of humourous contrast. For this film, I was thinking mostly jumpcuts to the scarier scenes and dissolves and fades for scenes that focus on the exposition, which aren't meant to be extremely scary. 

So, everything appears to be going well. I'm not entirely done, but I need a break and also want to do a test export. I save my film, export it as an MP4 file, and attempt to play it. I'm waiting for it to load and guess what pops up? An error message about an "unsupported file type!" So, of course, I'm extremely upset, but I decide to take a breather and focus more on the other apects of our short film package for the day. However, this is still weighing on me as I begin to edit the website. The only question on my mind is: How will I fix this? 

Pictured- A person editing a webpage, just like I was when I was thinking about how to solve the error issue. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review: What Do My Friends Think?

Editing Blog: Learning Curves and Obstacles

Filming Blog: Final Shots